Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Eulogy to Herbert Gross

And you should always know
Wherever you may go
No matter where you are
I never will be far away

Goodnight, my angel
Now it's time to sleep
And still so many things I want to say

     My PopPop was and is truly special, a little man with a heart as big as the sea. He was so funny and so sweet. His personality was just natural and fun. He loved to tell us stories. Most of the time it had to do with a urinal in Michael’s Diner, but sometimes he would tell us his stories from the war. All these stories make wonderful memories for me. As I was sitting down to write this so many different memories came to mind and I wanted to share them all. But I realized I didn’t get thirteen years to share. My PopPop and I never shared bad memories, except for when we would have to say goodbye. But even at those times, I knew that wasn’t the end of our smiles and laughter. And that’s what I have to think about now. Although we shared our final goodbye, I know that our smiles will not subside, for he will watch over me and I will look up at him, and we will miss each other, but we will smile.

     I continue to remember the fun times that Pops and I had. One especially was when I was only seven or eight and I was over at Nana and PopPop’s house down on Rosedale Road. They had decided that they wanted to teach me a song that Nana could accompany me on over the piano. It was What Kind Of Fool Am I, by Frank Sinatra. The little grin on his face as I sang that song made me beam with pride. There was something about Poppop’s little smile that was contagious. I still remember that song and even some of the lyrics. PopPop was never a sullen man, so as much as I am sad over losing him, the memories I have of him make me happy. He had that contagious effect whenever you saw him. If PopPop was happy, you couldn’t help but being happy.

     On Friday, I went to see my poppop because I knew he was not doing well. He had been sleeping when I arrived, but a few minutes after, he had woken up. Even though he was very out of it he looked at me once and said, “Sammy, my sweet little Sammy.” That was the last time he woke up while I was there, and that is the greatest thing that could be my last memory of him. PopPop was so supportive of whatever I did. He would hobble his way to every show I had, and he made it to every Grandparents Day possible. He loved his family, couldn’t get enough of us. You could tell his day just got so bright when you walked in and he gave you a big hug and a kiss. I wish I could give him one right now… or even just again…

     I love my PopPop. He is such an important man to me. And I believe I was to him. And I wish he could see me grow. And I wish he could see what I do in life. And I wish I could have him here again. I will forever and always have him in my heart, in my mind, and a part of me. Goodnight my angel, now it’s time to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment