Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Who Are We But Time Thieves?

Love Affair; Copland

Easy Beat; Dr. Dog

     Today I picked two songs that are very different, but have similar meanings. Love Affair, the song on the top, is one of my absolute favorites. It has a beautiful piano arrangement with Copeland's lead singer giving me the chills every time I listen. In the chorus he sings, "Just let me run where I want to run. Just let me love who I want." The simplest words that make up this verse, speak so many things to me at once. I'll get into them later though. The second song, Easy Beat, is a newer song to me, but it's more of a fun song and has lyrics that say to me, "I have one life, so I'm going to live it!" That is something always important to me, and that is what today's blog is going to be based around.
     There is nothing that I hate more, than people who try to stop you from living your life to the fullest. I see it every day, and whether you know it or not, you do as well. It comes up everywhere in politics. The biggest example is gay rights. How can a nation that has progressed so far, still not fully allow gay rights? These men and women are discriminated against everyday by their government, while all they really are asking, is to be respected equally, and to be allowed to marry one another so they can be who they want to be. Tell me, who are we to stop these people from spending the rest of their lives with whom they want to, just because they are both of the same sex? Just let them love who they want.
     The first lines in Easy Beat are my favorite: "It's an easy beat of nothing and we don't need no guitars. We can run and sing and wreak our cars. Be careful of the judge inside." When I hear this part of the song, I think of a group of friends, just making their own music, and being free with no care in the world. The part that says, "Be careful of the judge inside," I think is rhetorical. Almost like saying screw whoever is judging you. It makes me really upset when I see a person that isn't living their life how they want. I can always tell when a person is just imagining the things they could do, and the fun they could have. I have realized very early on in my life that every moment is precious, and I just want to scream it in their faces! Go DO the things you only dream about! Go BE that person you wish you could be! (While staying original) Anyone reading this who isn't living how they would like, please listen, because life is too important to let pass us.
     If you live to eighty, you have 42,048,000 precious minutes in your life. Start savoring them at 13, and you can still have 35,215,200 to conquer.

No comments:

Post a Comment