Monday, January 23, 2012

A Life of Possibly Maybes

Falling in Love At a Coffee Shop; Landon Pigg


I think that possibly
Maybe I've fallen for you
Yes there's a chance
That I've fallen quite hard over you

I've seen the paths that your eyes wander down
I wanna come too-

I think that possibly
Maybe I've fallen for you

No one understands me
Quite like you do
Through all of the shadowy corners of me

I never knew just what it was
About the same coffee shop I love so much
All of the while I never knew-

I never knew just what it was
About this old coffee shop I love so much
All of the while I never knew-

I think that possibly
Maybe I've fallen for you
Yes, there's a chance
That I've fallen quite hard over you

I've seen the waters that make your eyes shine
Now I'm shining too-

Because, oh because
I've fallen quite hard over you

If I didn't know you, I'd rather not know
If I couldn't have you, I'd rather be alone

I never knew just what it was
About the same coffee shop I love so much
All of the while I never knew-

I never knew just what it was
About this old coffee shop I love so much
All of the while I never knew-

All of the while
All of the while, it was you
You-
You-
You-

     Hearing this song and not falling in love with it is possibly, maybe a crime. Aside from Landon Pigg's incredible voice, the lyrics and the music are truly breath taking. I think this video is so sweet, and I love the idea of being able to stop time so we can say things we otherwise can't. To me the song is about encountering fate with another person. I don't know exactly if I believe in fate, but I know I believe that not every decision in our lives are our choice.
     I decided I wanted to get in touch more with what other people thought about fate, so I could figure out what I, myself, really thought. I asked three of my friends on their opinions. Ben explained that he didn't believe in fate, thinking that our own actions directly influence what will happen to us next. This idea was interesting, I always just thought that I believed in something when it came to fate, but never thought I didn't believe in it altogether. Thinking about it though, this does seem the most practical. Is it silly for me to believe that there's a force known as fate that has already made all of my decisions? Saying it like that it totally does, but how else can one describe it?
     Another one of my friends was in between, but had a clear view of what she believes. She believes that a person can make decisions that evolve into their fate. In other words, she was saying that we have different paths and we get to choose them, but not necessarily what is at the end of those paths. I liked thinking of it this way because it was not just an, "I don't know I'm in the middle," but it was a clearly thought out point of view. In the beginning of the year I wrote a little essay saying, "I believe in fate, meaning that we choose which road to take, but not the road blocks ahead." This basically is saying the same thing as her. I think I still believe this, but as I said before, am I being silly believing that I don't have full control over my life?
     I got one more opinion from another of my friends, and hers just happened to be another completely different opinion. Jessie fully believed in fate. She said, "I think that everything happens for a reason, and let's say if two people meet at a certain place or time, it's not an accident; I think it means something." I think that this makes a lot of sense. Do we meet our best friends and lovers by chance? Could everything in our lives happen with no hidden intentions?
     Well I guess this made me more confused instead of helping me figure out what I thought. I think based on all these different ideas, I lean most toward what I thought in the beginning of the year. Similar to my friend Alessandra, fate seems like it has two ends to it; the end where you decide, and the end following that, where you have no control.

No comments:

Post a Comment