Sunday, January 8, 2012

So this is the New Year...

The New Year; Death Cab For Cutie
Lyrics:

so this is the new year.
and i don't feel any different.
the clanking of crystal
explosions off in the distance (in the distance).

so this is the new year
and I have no resolutions
for self assigned penance
for problems with easy solutions

so everybody put your best suit or dress on
let's make believe that we are wealthy for just this once
lighting firecrackers off on the front lawn
as thirty dialogues bleed into one

i wish the world was flat like the old days
then i could travel just by folding a map
no more airplanes, or speedtrains, or freeways
there'd be no distance that can hold us back.

there'd be no distance that could hold us back (x2)

so this is the new year (x4)


     As I was looking for my next song to blog about, I stumbled over this song by Death Cab For Cutie and became attached with the lyrics. I had seemed to have found a song that spoke to my situation of the past couple of weeks. On December 25th, Christmas, my PopPop passed away at about 1:00 ET. He was a big part of my life and losing him was one of the hardest things for me. Anyway, one of the things that felt especially weird during the whole thing was the fact that 'twas the season to be jolly, yet it felt like anything but. All I could say was, "happy freakin new year." I just wasn't feeling that spirit, and to see people looking like nothing happened just made me want to scream, "How are you just acting like nothing's happening? Can't you see I'm mourning over here?" It was just a weird feeling, and this song reminds me of all the thoughts that rushed through my head.

     One of the lyrics I especially liked in this song is where it says, "I wish the world was flat like the old days
then i could travel just by folding a map." Something you'll notice is that the music I listen to contains meaningful lyrics. I personally wish I could have just went away and not have come back until I'm ready. Right now with so much stress in my life and my family's life, I just wish I could get away from it all sometimes. A nice trip to Bora Bora sounds especially nice, doesn't it to you?

     Well I guess whether it means anything to me or not, there's an oppurunity to start over, and an oppurtunity to find times to just breath. So this is the new year, but I still don't feel any different.

1 comment:

  1. Good Job Sam! I love how you expressed your feelings and personal expirence in to the blog. I LOVED IT!

    P.S. I would LOVE to go to Bora Bora!!!

    ReplyDelete